Sunday, December 5, 2010

Review - Hex Hall

Hex Hall (Book 1)

Hex Hall
Rachel Hawkins

Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.
 
By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong

As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, especially her.

I APPROVE.  Hahah, like that REALLY matters to anyone...but honestly...I loved it!  I came home from the bookstore at nine and stayed up until three in the morning just to finish!

Sophie...you and I would get along if you were a real person.  She's smart, sassy and doesn't throw herself at the cutest boy in school.  She befriends him, and he can't seem to fight her charm!  THAT'S the way it's supposed to be.  You don't need to be the sexiest little thang, you're personality should get you the guy.  Thanks you, Ms. Hawkins for shedding light on this!

This series did remind me a little of other paranormal books based in schools (Marked, Vampire Academy) and also The Craft, but still stuck to it's own flavor. 

I loved the introduction of demons to keep things fresh, and I also really appreciated that vampires weren't the most important paranormal group.  It's nice to read a series that differs from the trend that I seem to come across while reading many popular YA books.

PS - That groundskeeper...I hope to see something develop there.  He seemed...HOT.  Sorry, Archer.  You were described as "skinny".  I like my man meaty and strong enough to break a lead pipe with his bare hands.  What can I say?   I mostly read paranormal romance.

You can certainly expect Demonglass (A Hex Hall Novel) on my WoW this week!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment